1.5 weeks after returning from Panama I traveled to Nicaragua for four days to meet up with Romina (my good friend from Macalester) and Marina (her good friend from work) who spent 2 weeks traveling around Central America. It was so good to see an old friend and make a new one! My journey, thus far, has been exciting, but a little lonely. I was able to relax into a level of comfort I almost forgot existed!
I caught the 4pm bus after my enviro ed classes at Linda Vista, and made it to san jose with plenty of time to kill before my 3am bus to Nicaragua. I didn't want to pay for 1/3 of a night at the hostel so I checked my bag at the bus station and walked into the hostel with only my purse. I'd been there before, so I knew where I was going and walked right past the front desk with no more then a hi. I spent a lovely (FREE) evening using high-speed internet, taking a HOT shower, enjoying good conversation and free food with the backpackers (they always cook too much) then slept on the couch in front of the TV with the others 'til 2 when I got up and walked to the bus station.
My $12 bought a lounge chair in the overnight coach bus (with a bathroom!), and even dropped me off right by the ferry out to the island. Tired, yet excited I finally met up with Romina and Marina on the island of Ometepe: a large island comprised of two volcanoes, located in Lake Nicaragua, near the country's southern border. Here we spent a day climbing all 1394 meters of Volcan Maderas (the shorter yet steeper of the 2) and a day recovering on the beach and swimming in the lake which (***GINA FG TAKE NOTE***) is home to the world’s only species of freshwater shark.
From there we took the ferry back to the mainland and traveled north by bus to the small colonial city of Granada, where we spent a day touring and a night hanging out at a beautiful hostel. The next morning Romi and Marina left for the capital city of Managua to catch their flight back to D.C. and I spent the day touring and taking photos before catching the NicaBus back to San Jose at 4pm. I made it back to the hostel by 2am, and payed $9 for 3 beautiful hours of sleep, and caught the 6:00 am bus back to Chilamate in time to teach my 9am agriculture class.
My feet on window of the ferry looking over Volcan Concepcion, Isla Omotepe, Nicaragua.
Men waiting to unload ferry. Dock at Isla Ometepe, Nicaragua.
Painted map of Isla Omotepe. Romina and I climbed the eastern volcano, Volcan Maderas.
Fog over crater lake. Volcan Maderas, Isla Ometepe, Nicaragua.
Romina and our guide, Luis, "hiking" (it felt more like climbing) on the trail. Volcan Maderas, Isla Ometepe, Nicaragua.
Clouds cleared for last couple hours of the hike down. Here we caught a view of Volcan Conception. Volcan Maderas, Isla Ometepe, Nicaragua.
FRIENDS!!! We took it easy the day after our hike. Romina and Marina walking around town on Ometepe searching for lunch.
On the road, again. Baby and mama on ancient US school bus which serve as public busses in Nicaragua.
Cows, mountains, trees and sky. Scene out window of bus. Somewhere, Nicaragua.
Romina & Marina packed up and ready to leave me alone again. Hostel, Granada, Nicaragua.
Romina and Marina drive away...
...and leave me behind. Granada, Nicaragua.
Sky, tree, kids, house. Granada, Nicaragua.
Cathedral, Granada. Nicaragua
Paint on telephone pole. Granada, Nicaragua.
5 comments:
awesome photos! you should put the squinty eyes one on when you update your blog about playa tamarindo :) miss you!
Wow, sounds like a great, but intense trip. Loved the foggy pic and the painted map.
What a wonderful journey you have made. Love, MOM
Miss you! Let's write soon :)
dang! you are miss adventure! I miss you so much and well...i can not wait till you return sweetie!!
xoxox
Post a Comment