Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Moist Panties (wet shorts, soaked shirts, slimy socks, mildewy tennies...)

Yes, Miss Matzner, moist. Everything. Always. While there are many unpredictables in my new life, like the flying fox which bounded through my window and sent me screaming from my bedroom last night, I am happy to report that here is at least one constant, something that I can count on no matter what: the wet. If it´s a bad day, it´s sure to be a soggy bad day, if it´s a great day, it´s gonna be a gloriously soused one.

La mojada (the wet), is the backdrop of my new life, kinda like the cold in Minnesota, though, unlike the cold in Minnesota, I think I might actually be adapting to this crazy climate. I keep my rain gear with me at all times, and when the rain comes a fallin´ down I throw it on and continue whatever I was doing.

Ok. maybe it´s not that simple. There have been a couple days when everything I own is wet, and my moldy tennis shoes are stinking up my room, and I can´t hear for all he water in my ears and I feel kinda shitty. And I start to think "AH!, really, I´ve only been wet for a month, and I have yet to actually experience the wet season" (January through March is the "less wet" season, a there is no official dry season here in the RAIN-forest).
But these moments of "ah!"are just that. moments. and they seem to pass quickly. To clear my head of the "ah!" and my nostrils of the stink all I need to do is step outside. Immediately I am surround by the many beautiful living things that thrive here in this lush green land of the wet, and they renew my hope that this will be a place where I, too, can flourish.

(That reminds me, coming soon: a species list, so I can document all the cool stuff I´ve seen! I need to keep track of this somewhere, and I don´t trust my notebooks, they´re all kinda wet : )

Phew! 1st blog entry done! I think laying the scene is a good way to start out my blabbing, er "blogging"-- so the next time you´re daydreaming at work wondering "What is Sarah doing right now?", a question that must cross your mind hourly, at the least, you can be sure, that wherever I am, whatever I am doing, however I am doing, I am somewhere out there. wet. (and, probably missing you terribly!)

1 comment:

Mom of TJB and MMB said...

hey love, sounds like so much fun. The Wet season is yet to come - oh man! When we were in the dryest wet season in australia we would go running and stomping throw puddles. I loved it. The one thing i did not love were the terrestrial leeches. Do you have any of those in Costa Rica? I miss you! Have a great time!
Love
Katie